Moving to UK? read our helpful TOR customs hints

Moving to UK, read our helpful customs hints to help with TOR

New TOR customs regulations. (Transfer of Residence)

By now you are probably aware that the customs procedures have changed for importing your items into the UK duty and tax free.

The following are some helpful pointers to help you.

You will need to complete the form online here.

Print and sign the form and email it to:

You will have to attach a packing list, proof of living outside of the EU for last 12 months like utility bills, rent agreement, mortgage, and letter from employer for example and picture copy page of passport.

You should receive a confirmation email by return from customs.

If you receive a bounce back from Customs email it will be due to the file being too large. They only accept attachments up to 10MB. Send it again in 2 emails clearly referencing each email with your full name and stating email 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.

Tip: Scan in black and white not photos of the documents to keep the MB’s down.

If you have not heard from customs within 10 working days we suggest you call them at 01144 300 058 8454 but suggest you check your junk email folder first.

If you do not qualify for TOR meaning you are not moving your normal residence to the UK after living outside of the EU for the past 12 months then you will have to pay duty and taxes. In which case you do not need to complete the TOR form and instead send us a letter of explanation together with a packing list with used values. Receipts may be required. You do not qualify for TOR If you are selling a secondary home, shipping things to another family member or you are shipping items after only being outside of the EU for less than 12 months.

Further tips will be posted when we get them. Feel free to email the Moving Doctor with any questions regarding your international move to the UK or if you have any specific UK customs TOR questions. Regardless of whom you are using to move to the UK we are willing to advise on TOR or answer any questions.


Offices in: UK, USA, Europe and Canada.


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.